Saturday, July 19, 2008

Say it ain't so, Steve!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Steven Page, lead singer for the Canadian rock band, The Barenaked Ladies, has been arrested for possession of cocaine. Following a night of fighting with his girlfriend and getting totally plastered, she drove him to her place, where he pulled out a five dollar bill and the powder and went to work. The black and whites stopped in to see about a car door that was left open, and from the doorway observed the situation. Steven's words, "Yeah, it's cocaine."
Wow. Sixteen years into their existence, just after releasing an incredible children's music album, the band is finally stained. They were so clean- or were they? I'd rather not think about it. But lets take this time to look at other famous celebrity surprises.

1966-Sandy Koufax annonces retirement
His ten year career seemed too short for the amazing stuff he had.

1969ish-The Beatles dissolve
People cried for this one all around the world. I know I made tears in heaven over this one.

1987- Lawrence Taylor tests positive for cocaine
Hey, the man just won the 'ship, and instead of going to Disneyland like everyone else, he just wanted to get loaded. I don't know how disappointed anyone was, but it provided a great line for him in Adam Sandler's "The Waterboy", when he told some pee-wee football players, "Remember kids, don't do crack," in response to some dumb remark made by Sandler's character, Bobby Boucher.

1988-Ben Johnson's juiced in Seoul
Hooray breaking speed records! Boo steroids!
He wasn't the first.
And he certainly wasn't the last.
1993-Michael Jordan retires
Very surprising, very disappointing, and just plain out sad for those of us who based our entire basketball world around him. I don't know how I recovered.

1995-Michael Jordan returns from retirement- with #45!
Now I remember. He eventually wised up and changed the jersey back, and started winning championships again.

1997-Ellen Degeneres is gay
Whatever.
1998-Bill Clinton did not have sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky
That's not what she said...
1998 (Seven months later)- Bill Clinton DID have sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky
Wait, but didn't you tell us you didn't? I'm so confused!

2002-N*Sync breaks up
Finally!

2006-Lance Bass is gay.
I knew it!
2006-Brett Favre retires
Yeah right...
2007-Brett Favre retires. Again
Sure...
2008-Brett Favre texts the Packers GM and wants to play ball
That's what I thought.
And now this. Without stuff like this, what is life? Just me and people I know who actually care about me.

1 comment:

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

I'm glad you wrote this post, I was actually able to use it in reference to a current event conversations. Look at you making me look all snazzy.