Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Weblog




I used to have a newsletter that I sent out every week to all my friends and relatives. It included a little about me and a lot about current affairs in news, sports and entertainment. People enjoyed it, it was funny, writing it was the highlight of my week. But as I decided to spend more time with my schoolwork, the newsletter took up too much time, so I had to set aside my newsletter writing until I learned to balance things better.

Time passed and the requirements of education only became more time-consuming. Recently, I have found myself reading weblogs of friends, and have decided that they can be quite entertaining. So I said to myself, "Hey, Keith. You're entertaining. Why not entertain?" So I joined the ranks and created my own weblog.


You may notice that I use the root of the word 'blog'. My public relations professor used it when we had a class discussion on them and I thought it was funny.


The most difficult part so far about the weblog was choosing a title. For me, it had to be music related. Not sports, not politics, but it had to be music. I had many ideas, all of which were taken. It came down to a select few. I really liked "Elementary Penguin Singing Hare Krishna" (from I Am the Walrus), but chose "The Misty Mountain". Misty Mountain Hop by Led Zeppelin seems to be about getting high in a park, then having a run-in with the police and "packing my bags for the misty mountains where the spirits go now/over the hills where the spirits fly". It is a reference to the misty mountains of J.R.R. Tolkien, also known as Hithaelglir. It is where Bilbo found Gollum and got the ring. But for the purpose of naming my weblog, I refer back to track 5 of Led Zeppelin's fourth album, Misty Mountain Hop.

Sometimes we need to go to where everybody knows your name, but sometimes you just need to go over the hills where the spirits fly. When you read my posts on The Misty Mountain, you might have just left a run in with the police or one last dance with Mary Jane, or maybe you're going on the High Pass with dwarves on the Quest of Erebor and get captured by goblins or taking the Redhorn Pass with the Fellowship and turn around because of a blizzard summoned by a Benedict Arnold of a wizard who sold his soul to the evil one. Maybe you'll come away with a precious, and you just can't pass up an opportunity like that.

2 comments:

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

I'm glad you are webloging now.

mr.math said...

So much easier than a newsletter, huh.